Because of their size and weight, truck accidents are often worse than other motor vehicle accidents. As a result, it is important to know how truck accidents are caused and what to do in the event that an accident occurs. Read on to learn more about truck accidents in New York.
Causes of Truck Accidents
Accidents can be caused by a number of factors. But, for the most part, these accidents will be caused by:
- Poor judgment: Dangerous driving can cause serious accidents to happen. This can include driving errors such as speeding, reckless driving, improper lane changes, making dangerous turns, following others too closely, and more.
- Distracted driving: Truck drivers who do not pay attention to the road at all times while driving may not be able to bring their vehicle to a stop in time to prevent an accident from occurring.
- Impaired driving: The third leading cause of truck accidents is non-performance errors. This includes drivers who operate trucks under the influence, while drowsy, or who suffer from a medical condition while operating the vehicle.
- Vehicle malfunction: This may be the case if the truck has a defective part, or a part malfunctions on the road.
- Poor conditions: Inclement weather conditions or unmaintained roads can cause dangerous accidents.
Types of Truck Accidents
Because of their size, there is a lot that can go wrong when it comes to trucks. The most common types of accidents that occur include:
- Head-on collisions: When a truck passes through an intersection, leading to a crash with another vehicle.
- Jackknife accidents: When the trailer of a truck swings independently of the cab, causing both sections to move in opposite directions.
- Rollover crashes: When a truck turns a corner too fast, causing it to tip over.
- Rear-end accidents: If a driver does not use the brakes correctly or fast enough, a truck can crash into the back of another vehicle.
- DUI accidents: All drivers are prohibited from driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol.
If you have been injured due to another party’s negligence, you may be entitled to recover compensation. If you or a loved one has been involved in a truck accident, contact our firm to speak with an experienced and dedicated personal injury attorney. We understand the toll an accident can take and we will fight to help you recover the compensation you deserve.
Contact our Firm
A personal injury accident can have a great impact on your life and your bank account. At Katter Law Firm, we believe that everyone should be held liable for his or her own negligence; you should not have to bear the burden of someone else’s mistakes. To learn more or to schedule a free consultation, visit us online or call us today!