Everyone knows how rough traffic can be in New York City. As a result, car accidents are a rather common occurrence. For this reason, it is important to know what to do in the event of a New York City car accident. Read on to learn more.
How do Car Accidents Commonly Occur?
Though car accidents happen for many reasons, including poor weather conditions, defective or negligently designed roads, and more, they are most commonly caused by driver negligence. Some of the most prominent types of driver negligence we see on the road today include:
- Making illegal turns
- Driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol
- Driving while fatigued
- Texting and driving
- Carelessly changing lanes
- Otherwise driving recklessly by ignoring traffic lights, signs, and all other rules of the road
What Should I do if I am Involved in an Accident?
Every accident is different, but there are a few common steps you should take in the event of an accident.
- Call the police. It is important to call 911 if you are involved in a car accident. The police can help keep the roads safe by directing traffic around the accident. In addition to this, they can draft an official report, take statements from witnesses, and conduct chemical tests. They will also call an ambulance for you.
- It is important to go to the hospital, even if you feel fine. There are some cases in which you are injured without realizing it, or you don’t realize the severity of the injury.
- Don’t admit fault. It can be tempting to apologize for an accident no matter what. But, apologizing can be seen as an admission of guilt. Instead, make sure to be polite and cooperative.
- Take photos of the scene. Document any damage to your car, as well as the road and weather conditions. Additionally, you should obtain the contact information of anyone who witnessed the accident occur.
- Contact a skilled personal injury attorney who will help you fight for the compensation you deserve.
How Long do I Have to File a Claim?
In New York City, you will typically have two years from the date of the accident to file your personal injury claim. If you fail to file within this time, you will likely lose your chance to recover compensation.
If you or a loved one has been involved in a car accident, reach out to our firm today to discuss.
Contact our Firm
A personal injury accident can have a great impact on your life and your bank account. At Katter Law Firm, we believe that everyone should be held liable for his or her own negligence; you should not have to bear the burden of someone else’s mistakes. To learn more or to schedule a free consultation, visit us online or call us today!