Personal injury accidents often cause serious physical, emotional, and financial burdens to the victims who are involved in them. When this happens, they tend to pursue legal action in order to seek justice and recover compensation. This provides coverage for the damages that stem from the accident. When pursuing legal action, it is important to retain the services of an experienced New York personal injury attorney to guide you through your case.
What Should I Bring to an Initial Consultation?
It is important to always be prepared before meeting with an attorney. This includes bringing copies of important documentation that gives the attorney an understanding of you and your case. Important documents that should be brought to an initial consultation can include the following:
- A written description of how the accident and your injuries occurred.
- A copy of the police report from the accident.
- The names and contact information of any witnesses to be used for testimony.
- Your medical records to prove your injuries.
- Receipts of any expenses related to the injuries. This can include any out-of-pocket expenses for treatment and in-home care.
- Photos or videos of the accident and your injuries
- Your insurance information. This can include health, automobile, renter, or homeowner policies.
- Any contact with the other party or their insurance company. This can include letters, emails, phone calls, etc.
- Any questions for the attorney regarding your case
What Questions Will I Be Asked?
While documentation is important, it does not always allow the attorney to fully grasp the situation at hand. It is because of this that the attorney will usually also ask various questions that relate to the accident and the injuries you sustained. Questions that may be asked during the meeting can include but is not limited to the following:
- What injuries do you have? How are you feeling?
- Have you seen a doctor? What was the prognosis?
- Did you talk to any other lawyers or insurance representatives?
- What medical and automobile insurance coverage do you have?
- Did you give a statement about the accident to your insurance company?
- Where are you employed/what do you do? How long have you worked there?
- Have you ever been in an accident before?
Contact our Firm
A personal injury accident can have a great impact on your life and your bank account. At Katter Law Firm, we believe that everyone should be held liable for his or her own negligence; you should not have to bear the burden of someone else’s mistakes. To learn more or to schedule a free consultation, visit us online or call us today!