When people are ill and need the assistance of a doctor, they trust that they will be treated with the utmost care. It is because of this that medical professionals are required to meet a certain standard of care when they are dealing with patients. If they fail to uphold this standard and a patient suffers as a result of their actions, it is known as medical malpractice. Victims of this type of negligence can suffer in ways that have the potential to impact them for the rest of their life. If you believe you were the victim of malpractice, it is important to retain the services of an experienced New York medical malpractice attorney for assistance.
Types of Malpractice Injuries
Depending on a person’s medical situation, they can suffer differently due to medical malpractice. Different types of injuries that can happen because of negligence can include the following:
- Cerebral Palsy: This is damage to a baby’s brain. This can cause the child to experience mental handicaps, speech impairment, hearing problems, sight problems, difficulty walking, seizures, muscle spasms, and more. This injury can happen if the doctor does not treat infections during pregnancy, monitor fetal heart rate, detect a prolapsed umbilical cord, or perform a cesarean when necessary.
- Erb’s Palsy: This is the paralysis of a baby’s arm due to injured nerves in their upper arm. This can happen if the birth is complicated. A doctor can cause these injuries due to negligence if they are forceful during delivery.
- Failure to Diagnose: If a doctor does not diagnose a disease or diagnoses a person with the wrong disease.
- Surgical Errors: When a physician makes a preventable mistake during surgery. This can include causing nerve damage, not administering anesthesia correctly, making a wrong incision, leaving surgical equipment inside a patient, or giving the wrong medical treatment.
- Medication Errors: It is important that health care providers are careful when prescribing, administering, filling, and assessing medication for patients. Injuries or death can occur due to failure to screen patients for risk factors or allergic reactions, medication mix-ups, or incorrect dosages.
Pursuing Compensation for Malpractice Injuries
Medical malpractice lawsuits are difficult to win, which is why it is crucial to have an experienced and aggressive attorney at your side to fight for your right to compensation. This is because, during this time, the injured party must prove a number of things to be successful. This can include that they were a patient of the physician, that the physician breached their duty of care, and that their injuries occurred as a direct result of this behavior. If they are successful, the injured party may be able to receive compensation as coverage for the damages they incurred as a result of malpractice.
Contact our Firm
A personal injury accident can have a great impact on your life and your bank account. At Katter Law Firm, we believe that everyone should be held liable for his or her own negligence; you should not have to bear the burden of someone else’s mistakes. To learn more or to schedule a free consultation, visit us online or call us today!