While some auto accidents can simply be due to human error, other accidents can be the result of negligence. Driver negligence is very serious and has the potential to cause accidents that lead to life-changing injuries. It is because of this that injured parties can pursue legal action to recover compensation for any damages incurred due to the accident. If you find yourself in an auto accident, it is important to know what to do. Continue reading below to learn more and contact a New York personal injury attorney for help with your case.
What do I do After an Accident?
Whether you drive a car, motorcycle, truck, or bicycle, there are steps that should be taken after an accident in order to get the most out of a future claim. This can include the following:
- Call the police even if the other party tells you otherwise. The police can keep the scene safe, draft an official police report, take witness statements, and more.
- Do not apologize. It is understandable that it can be an impulse to apologize. However, this can sometimes be seen as an admission of fault. Instead, be polite and avoid doing so.
- Take pictures or video of the scene, including any broken glass, deployed airbags, skid marks, bloodstains, inclement weather or poor road conditions.
- Record important information such as contact information from witnesses and the registration information of the vehicles involved.
- Seek medical attention immediately even if you do not feel injured, as symptoms can manifest later on. Be sure to see a doctor for an official diagnosis.
Pursuing Legal Action
After an auto accident takes place, the injured party can pursue legal action against a negligent party by filing a personal injury claim. This works to hold them liable for causing the accident. During this time, the injured party is required to prove negligence took place, therefore directly causing the accident and their injuries. To do so, they must work with an attorney to collect the proper evidence to help their case. This can include medical documentation of the injuries, pictures or video of the scene, witness statements, a police report, and more. If successful, compensation may be awarded as coverage for any damages.
Contact our Firm
A personal injury accident can have a great impact on your life and your bank account. At Katter Law Firm, we believe that everyone should be held liable for his or her own negligence; you should not have to bear the burden of someone else’s mistakes. To learn more or to schedule a free consultation, visit us online or call us today!