When people go shopping at the mall, they rarely ever consider the idea that they could be injured. However, accidents can happen anywhere, to anyone. This can be the case at a retail store in the event that the property is not taken care of and becomes hazardous. This can lead to significant injuries that have the potential to impact a person for the rest of their life. Injured parties who wish to pursue legal action for compensation should retain the services of an experienced New York personal injury attorney.
How Can a Retail Store Accident Happen?
There are a variety of different ways that a retail store accident can happen in New York. Just like other personal injury accidents, they are often the result of another party’s negligence. Common hazards that can cause accidents in a retail store can include poor security, poor lighting, uneven walkways, spilled liquids, merchandise falling from shelves, and more.
What Action Should I Take After a Retail Store Accident?
After an accident, it is important to stay calm so that you can take the necessary steps. This may increase the chances of a successful claim. This includes the following:
- Call the needed emergency services for police assistance and medical attention
- Get the contact information of any witnesses so they can corroborate your claim later on
- Notify the store owner so an incident report can be filed and you can receive any surveillance footage of the accident that may exist
- Recover all documentation regarding your injuries from your doctor
- Hire an experienced New York personal injury attorney who can gather and present evidence that satisfies the burden of proof
- After the claim is filed, avoid social media so that nothing you post can harm your claim
What is the Statute of Limitations?
Injured parties who wish to pursue legal action after a retail store accident are require to do so within a certain amount of time. This is because there is a deadline to file a claim, known as the statute of limitations. If the injured party fails to meet this, they may lose their right to legal action and compensation. In New York, the statute of limitations for personal injury accidents is three years from the date of the injury.
Contact our Firm
A personal injury accident can have a great impact on your life and your bank account. At Katter Law Firm, we believe that everyone should be held liable for his or her own negligence; you should not have to bear the burden of someone else’s mistakes. To learn more or to schedule a free consultation, visit us online or call us today!