When it comes to apartment-hunting, many people base their decisions on the security of the building or lack thereof. For example, is there a doorman? Are there enough security cameras? It is important that residents feel protected and that there is adequate security. Read on to learn more about the potential consequences of a lack of security in New York City buildings.
Why is Security Important?
If a property owner does not have the right security to protect the individuals on their grounds, serious accidents can occur. This may be on properties such as apartment buildings, office buildings, parking lots, stadiums, shopping centers, and more. Examples of unjustified lack of security can include:
- A resident of an apartment building makes multiple complaints to a landlord about potentially dangerous people in common areas and the landlord does not take action
- There are no security guards where they are needed
- A property does not have security cameras to provide surveillance
- There is no working alarm in an elevator
- There are no security guards in a location where alcohol is served and intoxication can be a risk to public safety
- There are no working door locks for entryways of apartment buildings, allowing easy access for robbers
Fulfilling the Burden of Proof
When an injury occurs due to the lack of security on a property, the injured party may wish to pursue legal action to recover compensation for damages. To have a successful case, the injured party is required to fulfill the burden of proof. This means he or she must collect evidence that proves the property owner did not provide adequate security, thus causing the accident and the subsequent injuries. In addition to hiring an attorney, the following steps can be used in order to prove this in court:
- File a police report. It is important to call 911 if an injury or criminal activity occurs.
- Document the scene. Photos and videos can be key when it comes to a personal injury case.
- Obtain witness statements. Did anyone see the accident occur? Do you have neighbors who have complained about the same lack of security? These people may be able to corroborate your story if need be.
If you live or work in New York City and you have been the victim of an injury due to lack of security, contact our firm today.
Contact our Firm
A personal injury accident can have a great impact on your life and your bank account. At Katter Law Firm, we believe that everyone should be held liable for his or her own negligence; you should not have to bear the burden of someone else’s mistakes. To learn more or to schedule a free consultation, visit us online or call us today!