Due to the fact that they are the smallest vehicle on the road and they provide minimal protection for riders, motorcycles are very susceptible to being involved in an accident. These accidents can have catastrophic outcomes, with injuries that can impact a person for the rest of their life. Injured parties who want to pursue legal action may be able to recover compensation with the assistance of a New York personal injury attorney.
Causes of Accidents
Accidents sometimes happen as a result of a person’s own mistakes. While this is true, one of the leading causes of motor vehicle accidents is negligence. Drivers who do not follow the rules of the road can put others in danger. The following are different ways a motorcycle accident can happen:
- Distracted driving
- Dangerous driving
- Drunk driving
- Defective motorcycle parts
- Poor weather
What Do I Do After an Accident?
The following steps are important to take after being involved in a motorcycle accident:
- Call the police: This should be done even if the other party involved tells you not to call. This is because doing so can ensure the safety of the scene as well as have an official police report drafted.
- Do not apologize: An apology can often be seen as an admission of fault in an accident. Instead of apologizing, you should simply be polite.
- Take pictures or video of the scene: This provides you with documentation of any broken glass, deployed airbags, skid marks, and bloodstains that occurred during the accident as evidence for a future claim.
- Record important details: Obtain the names of any witnesses, their contact information, and registration information of all vehicles involved in the accident.
- Seek medical attention immediately: People involved in an accident should receive medical attention immediately, even if they feel okay at the moment. This is because injuries can come to light later on. Even though emergency responders can conduct examinations on the scene, a doctor should be seen after for an official diagnosis.
How do I Recover Compensation?
Injured victims can file a personal injury lawsuit to pursue legal action against a negligent party after a motorcycle accident. This requires them to prove that the party’s actions directly caused the injuries. This can be done by satisfying the burden of proof with evidence such as medical documentation of the injuries, pictures of the scene of the accident, and eye-witnesses to the incident. If they are successful, compensation may be received as coverage for any damages due to the accident. This can include the following:
- Pain and suffering
- Loss of enjoyment of life
- Medical care
- Rehabilitation costs
- Loss of current and future wages
- Funeral expenses in the event of wrongful deaths
Contact our Firm
A personal injury accident can have a great impact on your life and your bank account. At Katter Law Firm, we believe that everyone should be held liable for his or her own negligence; you should not have to bear the burden of someone else’s mistakes. To learn more or to schedule a free consultation, visit us online or call us today!