In recent times of the Coronavirus spread and New Yorkers under stay-at-home orders, there are many products in high demand that need to be in stores as soon as possible. It is because of this that more trucks are likely to be seen on the road than usual. This means it is more important than ever for truck drivers to be responsible and cautious while operating these immense, dangerous vehicles. People who are injured in a truck accident can pursue legal action for negligence with the assistance of an experienced New York personal injury attorney.
What are Causes of Truck Accidents?
There are many different ways that a truck accident can happen in New York. This can include the following:
- Poor judgement: Dangerous driving can cause serious accidents to happen. This can include driving errors such as speeding, reckless driving, improper lane changes, making dangerous turns, following others too closely, and more.
- Distracted driving: Truck drivers who do not pay attention to the road at all times while driving may not be able to bring the vehicle to a stop or navigate it in time to prevent an accident from happening.
- Impaired driving: The third leading cause of truck accidents is non-performance errors. This includes drivers who operate trucks under the influence, while drowsy, or suffer from a medical condition while operating the vehicle.
- Vehicle malfunction: This may be the case if the truck has a defective part or a part malfunctions on the road.
- Poor conditions: Inclement weather conditions or unmaintained roads can cause dangerous accidents.
Pursuing Legal Action
Those who are injured in a truck accident and want to sue the negligent party to recover compensation can do so by filing a personal injury claim. During this time, they are required to prove negligence. This can be done by providing the court with evidence that shows the negligent party’s behavior directly caused the accident and their injuries. Helpful evidence can include medical records, a police report from the scene of the accident, pictures or video of the scene, witness testimonies, and more. If they are successful in proving negligence, they may be able to recover compensation as coverage for any damages that stem from the incident.
Contact our Firm
A personal injury accident can have a great impact on your life and your bank account. At Katter Law Firm, we believe that everyone should be held liable for his or her own negligence; you should not have to bear the burden of someone else’s mistakes. To learn more or to schedule a free consultation, visit us online or call us today!