When people own their own property, they have a legal obligation to make sure their grounds are safe. This is because if they are not, they can cause harm to other people. Premises liability law holds these owners liable in situations where their negligence causes injuries. There are many ways that this can happen, including the failure to maintain effective security on the premises. Continue reading below to learn more and contact an experienced New York personal injury attorney if you were injured on another’s property.
Why is Security Important?
If a property owner does not have the right security to protect the individuals on their grounds, it can result in serious accidents. This may be on properties such as apartment buildings, office buildings, parking lots, stadiums, shopping centers, etc. Examples of unjustified lack of security can include but are not limited to the following:
- A resident of an apartment building makes multiple complaints to a landlord about potentially dangerous people in common areas and the landlord does not take action
- There are no security guards where they are needed
- A property does not have security cameras to provide surveillance where it should be
- There is no working alarm in an elevator
- There are no security guards in a location where alcohol is served and intoxication can be a risk to public safety
- There are no working door locks for entryways of apartment buildings, allowing easy access for robbers
Fulfilling the Burden of Proof
When an injury occurs due to the lack of security on a property, the injured party may wish to pursue legal action to recover compensation for damages. To have a successful case, they are required to fulfill the burden of proof. This means they must collect evidence that proves the property owner did not provide adequate security, thus causing the accident and their injuries. In addition to hiring an attorney, the following steps can be used in order to prove this in court:
- Filing a police report in the event of criminal activity
- Obtaining witness testimony to the actions that occurred
- Taking pictures of the conditions or obtaining surveillance footage
Contact our Firm
A personal injury accident can have a great impact on your life and your bank account. At Katter Law Firm, we believe that everyone should be held liable for his or her own negligence; you should not have to bear the burden of someone else’s mistakes. To learn more or to schedule a free consultation, visit us online or call us today!