Trucks are the largest, most immense vehicle on the road. If they are not operated under the correct conditions, they can be involved in dangerous accidents that have the potential to seriously injure many people. This may happen in the event of negligent driving or even inclement weather. According to the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA), winds that are greater than 25 miles per hour can impact a truck driver’s ability to control their vehicle. It is because of this that truck drivers must be aware of the risks so that they can avoid an accident. Continue reading below to learn more.
What are Causes of Wind-Related Truck Accidents?
When a truck experiences strong winds on the road, it can increase the chances of an accident happening. This may be the case in the event of any of the following:
- High crosswinds: A strong gust of wind can cause a truck to sway or tip on the road.
- Improperly loaded cargo: Cargo that is not loaded correctly can shift and unevenly distribute the truck’s weight, making the vehicle difficult to navigate in high winds.
- Failure to take appropriate action for weather conditions: Truck drivers are required to check the weather regularly so they know what safety precautions to implement on the road. This can include slowing to a safe speed, pulling over until conditions improve, planning an alternative route, etc.
What Types of Accidents are Caused by Strong Winds?
There are several ways a truck accident can happen due to strong winds. This can include:
- Rollover accidents: Wind can cause a driver to lose control and roll the vehicle over on its side.
- Underride accidents: Truck drivers who step on the brakes after being hit by wind can cause a closely following vehicle to crash and slide underneath the truck.
- Jackknife accidents: When a driver hits the brakes too hard, the truck can fold in on itself and form a 90-degree angle.
- Lost load accidents: Improperly loaded cargo can come loose and fall out of the truck onto the road.
What do I do if I’m Injured in a Truck Accident?
Truck accidents are often devastating and can cause significant injuries as a result. It is because of this that victims often pursue legal action so that they can recover compensation for the damages they incurred. This can be done by filing a personal injury claim. Throughout this process, they are required to prove that negligence took place and resulted in their injuries. Evidence that can be helpful to back up this claim can include medical documentation of the injuries, pictures or video of the scene, witness testimonies, etc.
Contact our Firm
A personal injury accident can have a great impact on your life and your bank account. At Katter Law Firm, we believe that everyone should be held liable for his or her own negligence; you should not have to bear the burden of someone else’s mistakes. To learn more or to schedule a free consultation, visit us online or call us today!